Friday, May 13, 2011

some shoes are forever

 Did you ever own something that you just couldn't bring yourself to throw away? For me, that item is a pair of blue, slip-on vans. I go them in high school and wore them all the time. Having body issues is no new idea or concept. I, like everyone else, have my fair share. One more unique annoyance I have with my body is with my big toes. They don't look weird or have a funky smell or anything. What they do is stick up a tiny bit. Just enough to create holes in shoes that I love. It is partially due to this fact that I have owned many pairs of converse over the years. The rubber covered toe solves this problem.
But my blue vans did not stand a chance. They were my favorites and I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of them. Instead, I pulled out my little sewing box and started stitching. Only I didn't just stick to covering the holes. No, I did much more. And I loved it. I got lots of compliments and I got to continue wearing my favorite shoes. Today they aren't looking so hot. But they've survived a lot (including a summer working at Hume Lake). I still pull them out once in awhile to prove to myself that they shouldn't be thrown out. Is there anything that you own like this? Something you should've thrown out but instead breathed new life into?

1 comment:

  1. How ironic that the very day you posted this I noticed a tiny hole in the right big toe area of my tom's shoes and then I started remembering your vans (these in the post) and thought to myself "I should stitch these like Jenna did, and not let them be sad and hole-y". seems we have the same toe sticking up problem.

    ReplyDelete