Monday, September 24, 2012

peep-toe problems




Hello. My name is Jenna and I'm a Vans-aholic.






I don't know what it is about Vans, but I just love them. So much, in fact, that I don't let the little problem I have with my big toe sticking up and prematurely destroying the canvas force me into retiring a pair before their time.

Most recently I got these lovelies. Okay, I got them about a year ago. Since then I have pretty much lived in them. If I was more clever this is where I'd insert some dramatic video of me and my shoes enjoying life in slow-motion to some cheese ball song.

Read about these lovelies here.
After several months of very regular use my big toes did its thing and worked its way to the surface. (Am I the only one with this crazy problem?) I guess that means it is time for a project! In the past when this happened to a pair of blue, slip-on vans I went a bit wild with embroidery. It was a long, somewhat painful process but I had never gotten so many comments and compliments on a pair of shoes before.

This time around I wanted something that would take a little less time but still take care of the toe-peeping problem. Don't get me wrong, I love a good pair of peep-toe shoes.... They just shouldn't involve laces.

I decided to try and use only things I had on hand. Luckily I am a bit of a collector when it comes to crafting and other supplies that could maybe come in handy some day (sorry, husband!). I first cut out pieces of green felt to go over the toe. I though a little diagonal action could add to the interest.


I then selected a fabric that I thought would look nice with the shoes and cut the fabric so that it could wrap around the felt. Fabric alone wouldn't last a week with my monster toe. 

I hand stitched (rather poorly) the fabric to the felt and then came the fun part (by "fun" I of course mean "part I wish I could trick somebody else into doing for me")

Sewing a patch on to a shoe is a tricky thing. The canvas is super thick and tricky to get a needle through. And on top of that, working at the toe also means a bit of hand, finger, wrist gymnastics. It is a little tight down there!

The finished product is worth the struggle! I decided to add the patch on just one shoe. I kinda love the asymmetrical-ness. Also, this means I only have to convince one patch to stay! Bonus!

Luckily, I secured the patch well. They have been fully functional and I have been living in them while working at Trader Joe's. You wouldn't believe how many people think they came with the patch! I take that as quite the compliment. Perhaps it is time for me to purchase a new pair of vans for everyday use. I know I want to, I just can't decide on what color to get next. Hmmm...

 You will have to excuse the filthiness of these guys... they are obviously loved and put to work often. I love the new-ish addition and the fact that they seem willing to give me another year service.









My amazing and lovely cousin, Lauren, over at Pearls, Poppies, Pinkies Up shared her thoughts and ideas on revamping a pair of Vans. You should absolutely check it out... So cute and darling... Just like her!!






In other news... Have you stopped by my Etsy shop lately? I have added about 30 items! Insanity! I am really hoping that it cools down soon so that Etsy browsers find my shop more often... turns out that in 100 degree weather people don't spend much time searching for cute scarves or crocheted headbands. Come on Fall! I am ready for you <3
jennasaurus!



1 comment:

  1. i love to wear high heels in each and in every style it makes our feet style very trendy..!!
    visit our site.. for getting another style..!!

    ReplyDelete